Thursday, June 26, 2008

Nobody asks us about the budget...

When people ask me what I am doing this summer, I tell them I am working for Planned Parenthood. I get a lot of questions on what my internship entails, but basically I am an intern for the Action Fund part of the organization. The Action Fund is the political and public policy arm of Planned Parenthood in Pennsylvania. Since it’s an election year, you can imagine we’re pretty busy!

The job isn’t glamorous, some of my friends are constantly flying to different cities, making over $20 an hour and living near the beach; my tan isn’t fantastic working in an office in downtown Pittsburgh. It may not be fabulous, but my job is important. My internship is an innovative new program being used across the state. I am one half of an intern pair working in Western Pennsylvania for a pro-choice candidate, and also giving part of my time to Planned Parenthood’s mission.

Local elections are time consuming, and require a lot of hard work. I study politics in school and nobody ever tells you how much work is done just for a local election! My partner Dayna and I are working on Representative Matt Smith’s reelection campaign and although, shockingly, they haven’t asked for our input on passing the budget in Harrisburg, we are working on cultivating his supporters from 2006; trying to gather up people to host coffees and meet and greets with him. In a week or so we will start canvassing the neighborhoods in his district for people who we expect to be pro-choice. Politics aren’t attractive all the time, but someone needs to “make the sausage” (as my father says).

So, while nobody cares what I think about the state budget, or the Presidential election, I am a cog in the machine that has to keep running. By calling supporters and getting out the vote we can keep pro-choice people in office and make sure women’s health issues are protected. But I am always willing to give my opinions on the budget, or anything else, if anyone ever asks.

- Lauren, Pittsburgh

No comments:

Post a Comment