Monday, June 22, 2009

The first two weeks...: Anna, Western PA

Anna D from Pittsburgh here, two weeks into my Grassroots Organizing Internship with PPWP. I am very excited with how much on-the-ground work Rachel and I have already done: three canvasses, a phone bank, and tabling at Pittsburgh’s Pride festival! Canvassing has been quite rewarding so far-- the vast majority of people I’ve spoken with have been very receptive and supportive. Pride fest was loads of fun (and everyone loved the free chapstick and colorful condoms), it was like tabling at a giant party! I’ve had a few surreal conversations (on the phone: “No, comprehensive sex education actually does not include handing out condoms at elementary schools…”), been seriously scared by some aggressive Rottweilers, and got several compliments on my YNT t-shirt. Based on the successes of these first few weeks, I am looking forward to a busy and productive summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment