Thursday, July 23, 2009

Anna D, Western PA

In the past seven weeks, I have learned a lot about how to communicate effectively and openly with people about politically charged issues like sex education and health care reform. Canvassing has been most interesting, mainly because of the interactions I have with our targets, but also because being on foot for hours at a time in concentrated sections of the Pittsburgh area gives me a new perspective on my hometown. It’s amazing the difference a few miles makes when it comes to the overall disposition of people towards Planned Parenthood.

Because Rachel and I have been mainly canvassing on Fridays and Saturdays, it is especially striking when we are in a rural or suburban area one day and a city neighborhood the next. Overall, we tend to get more positive responses from people closer to the city, and more "not home’s/refusals" from suburban and rural folks (of course there are exceptions). Personally, I most enjoy canvassing in what are stereotypically viewed as “depressed” or “bad” areas of town. My interactions in such areas have been for the most part with very supportive and kind people who seem genuinely interested in helping to get our bills passed. One of my favorite memories from one such canvass is this: after a really enthusiastic young woman signed my petition, we talked for several minutes about her views on the issues and the importance of sex education. She mentioned her toddler daughter several times, and said that as a mother she was especially grateful for the resources Planned Parenthood provides for young people. She even gave me a bottle of water as I was leaving. After I had walked several blocks, I stopped on a street corner to look at my map. A man came up to me and tapped me on the shoulder, asking “Are you Anna?” When I said I was indeed, and asked what I could do for him, he told me that his wife had ordered him to chase me down so that he could sign my petition too!

I really enjoy the work that I have been doing, both because I am excited to be working for a cause I believe in so strongly, and also because it can be so much fun! I have met so many great people and had such engaging conversations; my internship with Planned Parenthood of Western PA has truly made this summer a memorable and very rewarding experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment