Monday, July 20, 2009

Sarah W, Northeast PA

I started this internship with ominous words from Representative John Yudichak—“Good luck with my constituents.” These words, for me, foreshadowed 10 weeks of doors slamming and completely unreceptive people.

The reality of the internship has been the opposite. (Ironically our most successful turf is in Nanticoke, Yudichak’s hometown.) People have been receptive to what we have to say about Sex Education. One of my favorite responses; “It’s against my religion, but I’m a pediatric nurse and I’ve seen how important it is. I’ll sign.”

It’s also been great to meet like minded people. This past weekend Gemma and I visited the Unitarian Universalist Church of Wyoming Valley, located in Kingston PA. The congregation was very welcoming, and many people approached us after the service with questions about both Sex Education and Health Care Reform!

Our time at the UU church really drove home the idea of it being a small world out there. I had recently contacted the director of NEPA PrideFest about the possibility of tabling at the event. At the end of the service, a gentleman approached me and asked if I was the same Sarah that had emailed him! We went on to have a great conversation and cannot wait to table at PrideFest! We also met a member of the board of directors of PP Northeast-MidPenn. Perhaps, in the most ironic twist of fate, someone mentioned that Todd Eachus, the representative for Hazleton, used to be a member of the congregation! It just so happens that Eachus’s district is one of our primary focuses for the internship!

Going into these last 4 weeks Gemma and I have a big challenge. We initially cut gigantic turfs—I’m talking 200 plus. So we are going to have to race to get them all done. We’ve worked out a system where every time we finish a turf we treat ourselves (in the form of a delicious snack). So hopefully, in the weeks to come there will be a lot of snacking!

Finally, on a more serious note:

To all the parents who read this blog,

Please, talk to your children about safety when they are home alone. I have repeatedly had children ranging from the age of 7 and up answer the door and tell me their parents aren’t home. Not only this, but they continue on to give me detailed information about where and when their parents will be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment