Friday, June 21, 2013


My name is Chris and I am serving the Lancaster and Harrisburg offices of Planned Parenthood in Pennsylvania. I just finished my sophomore year at Franklin & Marshall College and I am a Public Health Major. I am a member of the Archery team as well as the Student Health Advisory Community and work with the Sports Medicine department. I joined Planned Parenthood this summer, because the internship is a great way to connect what I am learning in the classroom with work that helps my community.

During Action Camp, a three day long training at the beginning of the internship, we shared stories of why and how we came to intern with Planned Parenthood. We were told to provide a personal story that we could share and use to connect with other individuals. I tried to come up with a specific reason for getting involved with Planned Parenthood, but for some reason I couldn't. I explained to my supervisor, Caitlin that I was having trouble with ideas for my story and she told me I could connect it to public service work as a whole. I proceeded to write about my internship at the Red Cross in Emergency Preparedness and how I could help society and my community that way.

In a breakout group, we shared our stories and I went last. After listening to everyone’s deeply personal stories, I realized that what I thought was a lack of a story- was a story. I am the only male in the internship program this summer. There is a misconception that Planned Parenthood is an organization just for women, when in reality they provide services that benefit everyone. Some of these services include testicular cancer screenings, STI tests, and general health referrals to other medical practices. The issues that Planned Parenthood advocates around impact the entire community regardless of their age, gender, or political views. By breaking down this barrier, not only will the benefits of Planned Parenthood be expanded, but the health of communities across Pennsylvania will be improved.

-Chris B., Lancaster Health Center Advocacy Intern

No comments:

Post a Comment