Friday, June 28, 2013

Hello All! My name is Nicole and I’m an intern for Planned Parenthood’s Health Center Advocacy Program, acting out of Allentown. Before starting this internship, I most looked forward to reaching out to patients inside the Health Center. I learned during Action Camp that before Planned Parenthood began community outreach through the health centers, the majority of Planned Parenthood supporters were older white women. This program was created so that this organization’s advocacy arm more reflected the diversity of its patient population. I found this very admirable and it ignited my excitement to reach out to patients.

I have to admit, at first, it was awkward. In-center tabling is vastly different from canvassing or even tabling in another arena. People are not (for the most part) coming up to you. And you don’t have that easy ice-breaker of knocking on someone’s door. Most likely they were not expecting to do anything related anything to do with Planned Parenthood’s advocacy that day. At first, I couldn't get over this feeling that I would be an unwanted presence in the Health Center.

My intern partner, Elizabeth, and I thought being direct would be the best approach and I cannot believe how well it worked out. The last time I was in the health center was especially exceptional. I split my time between helping the staff with some filing and tabling in the health center. Elizabeth had printed a bunch of new patient story sheets and I was excited to let patients know they could share their story. After getting over some initial apprehension, I started informing patients directly that they could share their experience with Planned Parenthood. The response was overwhelming.

In the short amount of time I spent tabling that day, I got five new patient stories submitted. Patient stories show how integral the services this organization provides are to their community. Whenever there’s an attempt to defund or limit funding for Planned Parenthood, it’s important to see how people’s lives are dependent on these services.


My excitement continued when I typed the patient stories. After reading people’s enthusiastic appreciation for Planned Parenthood and how safe and well-taken care of this organization makes them feel, I definitely no longer feel out of place in the health center. 

- Nicole M., Allentown HCAP Intern

No comments:

Post a Comment