Wednesday, July 17, 2013

HCAP at Planned Parenthood Southeastern Pennsylvania


My experience as a Health Center Advocacy intern has been excellent
so far. I am so grateful to have learned so much and it's only been five weeks!

As a recent graduate from the Public Health department of Temple
University, I have always had a passion for helping communities
improve their health outcome. I've always thought to achieve this
through health initiatives and educational classes. However, it's
important to let communities know about existing programs they can
use to achieve better health. This is why the Health Center Advocacy
Program is so great.

Along with fellow interns and volunteers, we are going out into the
community and letting individuals know about the variety of health
services they can access at their local Planned Parenthood health
centers.

My experience at the Upper Darby neighborhood canvass on Saturday,
June 15th was a perfect example of this. My fellow HCAP interns,
volunteers and I went out into the community to talk about the new
health center on 7200 Chestnut Street and handout coupons for health
services. While canvassing, there were many individuals, usually the
elderly, who were quick to make comments like "Planned Parenthood? Oh
I am way too old for that, honey" or "Thank you but I'm done making
kids".

However, I quickly assured these individuals that Planned Parenthood
offered more than reproductive services. I also mentioned that they
could pass the information to friends or family members who may need
it!

Who can say no to a coupon?! Once I made that point, the kind folks in
Upper Darby were eager and willing to pass information on to friends
and family members! I hope that the new health center sees an influx of
new patients and that the Upper Darby community are closer to achieving a
better health outcome.

I am excited to see how the rest of the Health Center Advocacy
Program turns out!

Tahirah C., Philadelphia Health Center Advocacy Intern

No comments:

Post a Comment