Monday, August 5, 2013



Hello all! My name is Alyssa Ortega; I am a recent graduate from Indiana University of Pennsylvania in Anthropology with a minor in Latin American Studies. I am an intern at the Planned Parenthood Harrisburg location within the Health Center Advocacy Program. Prior to this internship, I didn’t really know what to expect. Health Center Advocacy? What does that even mean? Doesn’t everyone want everyone to be healthy? I have quickly understood that this is not the immediate case. I have found there are “loop-holes” in an individual's thinking. It’s interesting to me that there are a lot of “but …” statements after someone states their opinion. “Well I think that abortion is someone’s choice, but …” “Birth control is an effective way to prevent pregnancy, but …”. And I can say, I was one of those people, I always thought there were exceptions to every situation. And I have heard all sides of the argument, but what it boils down to, what’s the most important thing?
 The most important thing is that we have access to safe, affordable, and attainable health facilities. That is what this internship is all about - we do Healthy Neighborhood Canvasses every weekend and have been tabling at different health fairs around the area, in an attempt to promote the services of Planned Parenthood and let the community know that we are out here for them. This internship has tested my opinions, beliefs and personal demeanor in a positive way, and I have found out that there is much more to Planned Parenthood than meets the eye.  I have sharpened my  skills and education to know what is going on in our political system, but I have also been introduced to  the tools that are necessary to defend my rights as a female needing these services, Also, I am now more comfortable helping others with their rights as healthy teens, men, and women, aside from knowing about the different ways that Planned Parenthood has positively affected the lives around the communities in which their offices are located.

Going into the health center, seeing all of the different people, of all ages, sex, gender and sex orientation, as well as race, it has definitely expanded my need to want to fight for a safer and healthier environment where anyone and everyone can handle their health as they please. That is the whole point of this internship. I was able to see how our health facilities are greatly impacting everyone who steps through those doors and it is inspiring. We are here to promote this organization that offers different services that can preserve the reproductive rights and choices of women and men around Pennsylvania and around the country. What this internship has taught me so far is to be a more independent woman, and to be more aware of the political climate that is around me. Although, I feel like reproductive rights are a social issue and should stay out of the political debates, it will be a part of the political arguments for a while, and I should be prepared with the facts and figures. Because of my choice to become a part of this organization and dedicate time to this important fight, it is my duty to be an advocate, a friend, and more importantly a voice to the individuals who feel like they are not being heard. I am more than proud to say that I Stand With Planned Parenthood.  

No comments:

Post a Comment