Friday, January 31, 2014

Hi there,
My name is Sena Agawu and I am the Social Media Intern at Planned Parenthood Health Center for the Spring of 2014- as part of my internship I am in charge of up-keeping and organizing this blog. So welcome, to all who are interested in reading some words from current and past Planned Parenthood Advocate interns! I do hope that this is a beneficial and helpful experience.

I am a junior studying Anthropology and Women and Gender studies at Dickinson College. I became aware of this branch of Planned Parenthood when browsing possible internships available to those interested in health rights, advocacy work, politics, and working towards equality in many different spheres. This is only my second week but already I've learned so much. Prior to this internship I had had quite a bit of contact with Planned Parenthood in my personal life, however that contact was limited to the health services part of Planned Parenthood. Although I was aware of the more political, advocative side of the organization, I never really thought much about it.

I've been quickly learning that this part of Planned Parenthood is just as essential as the health services side. Planned Parenthood Advocates of PA are instrumental for the state of Pennsylvania. They are constantly working towards assuring that women have control over their bodies and fighting legislations that negatively impact women's reproductive rights.

I am so glad to have the chance to contribute to the great work that PPPA (Planned Parenthood PA Advocates) is doing. I'm so much more aware of current events happening both in PA, and in the federal legislative system which seems to constantly be vying for control over women's bodies. I definitely encourage anyone who is interested in positively contributing to such important issues to explore the possibility of being an intern for the upcoming 2014 Summer!

- Sena Agawu

No comments:

Post a Comment